Why one say “No” to IT start-ups?

I have personally interviewed a lot of students and asked them why they do not want to join a start-up or SME. I have even asked many IT professionals why they always prefer joining IT MNCs and not SMEs/start-ups.

I will not elaborate much on this, but just in brief would want to share with you the reasons for someone not joining a start-up.

80% of the candidates feel start-ups (1-7 employees) are more interested in “Profit Maximization” rather than “Wealth Maximization”. Hence they feel in secured. Few of the candidates say that start-ups need to be professional (not casual). Some of them feel that start-ups are not “stable” in nature. There are even cases when candidates do not prefer joining a start-up because of peer pressure of the society.  So all these negativity spreads via word of mouth and goes viral, almost like a grapevine,  because of which a candidate does not dare to take the “risk” of joining start-ups (No, I am not blaming the candidate for not taking the risk).

Let me assume 80% start-ups are ambitious, they have a future plan, they are working ethically and are thriving hard to achieve something. But may be out them one player has caused a problem, ill treated a candidate or did something unethical, which in turn spoiled the brand name of the entire IT start-up community.  

Branding does not come by building a glossy website or having a presence in social media. Branding should be an “in-ward – out” approach.  Branding is an evolutionary process and fragile in nature.  So next time if you are not getting any resource to work for your start-up, do not blame the candidate. Let us accept our mistakes (if we have done any) and correct them, minimize the problems as much as possible and let us hold hands to build a strong IT start-up community.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Why one say “No” to IT start-ups?

  1. Any countries’ people, except US IT geeks, think that to work for start-ups is not the good way. The reason is very simple b/c human beings love the big safety place to live in and do something from a couple of hundred thousand years ago. To leave from there meant to meet a big danger.

    So, only way to let many people work for the start-ups are to succeed a lot of business and show them.

  2. Very true and it’s a hard fact that almost every start-up has to face it at early days until they grow bigger. 90% people love security, stability, social-glamour and the traditional route to a safer-better life 🙂 Very hard to get a guy with founder-motivation. ‘Finding the rest of the 10% crazy guys’ and retaining them is the biggest challenge for start-ups….. Good write-up Aninda

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s